Galactic Marines (Mygeeto Build Part Two)

 

When I first watched Revenge of the Sith, I was enamored by all the different Clone Trooper armor. Phase IIs were cool enough as is, but Paratroopers, Scout Troopers, and most of all Galactic Marines, caught my eye. Of course, these latter two were just reskins of Original Trilogy armor, but it was pretty cool to see them fighting large scale battles.


Something about the Snowtrooper armor, and therefore Galactic Marine armor, speaks elite. You can tell these guys have seem some stuff, and they know what they're doing. When I got into Legion, I knew I had to find a way to get these troopers into my army.


Of course, as of right now there is no Galactic Marine trooper unit, but there are Snowtroopers. My first thought was to just paint Snowtroopers using the Galactic Marine signature maroon, but I wanted these to be legit stand-ins for Clone Troopers, so I ordered another box of Phase Is and got out my hobby knife. Without having any greenstuff, I was pretty satisfied with the results of my conversion:

For painting, I used this method:


Primer: Wraith Bone (Citadel) Spray Primer

Base: Khorne Red (Citadel) for all red bits, I left everything primed at this point

Black Wash (liberally applied)

Pants, Belts, etc: Black Templar (Citadel) contrast over still wet wash. The wash takes in the contrast paint and does a good job of filling the area you're working on.

I used images like this (MarcusStarkiller on Deviantart) as a guide

Overall, I'm pretty happy with how this conversion came out, and they can proxy for both Phase 1 and Phase 2 Clone Troopers (unless you're running the mortar, but hey, who does that?)

The 21st Nova Corps are not just Galactic Marines, so I painted up a batch of Phase IIs using their armor markings, and picked up this Commander Bacara figure from Mel Miniatures. At the time of this project, I wasn't planning on doing Mygeeto, and was still working on Geonosis terrain, hence the basing.

Theoretically, your DC-15 Marine could fit in your Arc Strike team as the sniper. They're expertise in harsh weather certainly would make them a formidable foe against any clankers coming their way.

This was a super fun project, and IMO worth bashing two core trooper unit boxes together. Unfortunately, the math gets a little harder justify when I think about doing another set or two like this.


Next up, painting those Mygeetian towers.


Peace,


Phil


Comments

Popular Posts